This session described the Hanen More Than Words® Program which provides a parent-implemented intervention to families of young autistic children. During More Than Words®, parents receive ongoing coaching with the goal of building on their child’s strengths and interests while increasing their opportunities to take the lead in interactions and communicate within everyday routines and activities.
1. Describe the philosophy and components of the More Than Words® Program.
2. Summarize the four stages of communication in the More Than Words® Program.
3. Name two factors considered during assessment and goal setting within the More Than Words® Program.
4. Identify four interaction strategies parents learn within the More Than Words® Program.
5. List four principles of adult education that are addressed in the four-part teaching-learning cycle utilized in More Than Words® Program.
6. Provide one reason for using video feedback to facilitate parents’ mastery of strategies.
Lesia Partyka, M.Sc., S-LP (C) Reg. CASLPO, is a Speech-Language Pathologist who has been leading More Than Words® Hanen programs since 2008. Lesia is employed by The Hanen Centre and is involved in the development of the More Than Words® Program resources. She also offers presentations on the More Than Words® Program and approach. Financial - Employee of The Hanen Centre, which holds the copyright to all the materials produced at the centre. Lesia receives no financial benefit from the sale of Hanen materials.
ASHA CEU attendance requirements: As per ASHA guidelines, participants are eligible for CEUs with full attendance. This presentation is eligible for 0.15 ASHA CEUs. CEUs are not available if a participant joins the presentation after 15 minutes of the presentation start time, or leaves more than 15 minutes before the presentation end time.
This is an interactive presentation and we ask that attendees have their cameras on to participate
By attending the presentation, you'll be entered into a draw to win a free More Than Words® Guidebook, and a free Hanen e-seminar to use in your work with young children and their families!
This event is being offered complimentary to current OSHA Members, through a partnership with Hanen Centre. Registration information obtained by OSHA will be shared with Hanen. Hanen will provide information on accessing this virtual training, process CEUs, and provide certification for attendance.